Saturday 13 April 2013

Pattern Review: Kyoko by Modkid


PATTERN: The KYOKO pattern by Modkid. Paper pattern, which I have transferred to tissue in a few different sizes.

WHAT: Asian inspired shirt and dress for girls, featuring an obi-sash, which I am in love with.

SIZE: This pattern is from size 2T through to 7, but I know Modkid makes a similar tween pattern and a women's pattern - exciting!!

FABRIC: As you can see I've made at least 5 of these dresses/tops so far using a myriad of different fabrics. Fabrics of note: Riley Blake Tonal Chevrons, Michael Millers ta dot and lush and Patty Youngs Textured Basics. Every dress I fully lined the bodice with plain white cotton. I've used quilters cotton for each of these and wouldn't really recommend anything too thin, although a thicker fabric would make this a lovely warm dress for winter.




PATTERN PIECES: Pattern pieces include sleeves, front bodice, back bodice and obi sash. The skirt of the dress/top are given in cutting measurements. I chose to try a few different styles including one that isn't included in the pattern. The pattern gives options for a one colour skirt or a 6 panel skirt.

I tried a stripwork skirt (top, middle photo) and also left off the sleeves for a different look. Perfect for winter if you want to wear a long sleeve tee underneath.

The pattern includes pieces for short or long sleeves. I haven't tried the long sleeves but I love the look.

ILLUSTRATIONS/INSTRUCTIONS: This dress would definitely suit a beginner as the instructions are very clear and there is nothing too challenging, especially if you use store bought bias tape.

SPECIAL TECHNIQUES: Creating my own bias tape was a new skill I learnt using this pattern and I was thrilled with the results and can't stop making more.

CONCLUSION: I love this pattern, it's easy, quick and fits girls of many sizes easily with it's loose fitting nature. The obi-sash cinches in the dress to make it look fitted and unique. I can't wait to buy some asian printed fabrics to really give it an exotic look.

I'm very into asian inspired clothing this year, watch for a review on a women's top/dress coming soon.
Catch me on Facebook and don't forget to leave me a comment below to say 'hi'.

Sew glad you stopped by!
Brenda


No comments:

Post a Comment